VM Backup Erfahrungen

Gesamtbewertung
Bewertungen
Mehr Erfahren

Über VM Backup

Altaro VM Backup ist eine Backup- und Replikationslösung für Hyper-V und VMware, die für MSPs (Managed Services Provider) und IT-Abteilungen entwickelt wurde und Folgendes bietet: • Zuverlässige, schnelle und unkomplizierte...

4,6

Max
  • Branche: Buchhaltung

Bewertet am 18.11.2020

optimal für den Mittelstand

einfache Bedingung auch ohne größere EDV Kenntnisse kann man selbst ohne EDV Betreuung einsetzten. Sehr guter Support!

Alles nur auf Englisch - Könnte auch auf Deutsch angeboten werden

Sebastian
  • Branche: Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit

Bewertet am 1.8.2022

It is easy to use. Die Funktionen sind ausreichend und das das Cloud Backup funktioniert gut.

RMM Integration is missing. Direkte Sicherung der VMs zu einem Cloud Speicher.

Aaron
  • Branche: Computer-Software
  • Unternehmensgröße: Selbstständig

Bewertet am 2.5.2019

The best VM backup

We have been using Altaro VM backup for about 4 years now and our experience has been exemplary. The compression and deduplication feature is phenomenal, I never imagined I would be able to keep 3+ weeks history retention and still have my backups take up less space than my VMs themselves. The offsite server is also a huge bonus, absolutely free, just pay 3rd-party hosting and storage fees and put the server wherever you like. Their support is top-notch.

Cost can get a little high if you have a lot of hosts, but still worth it and still less than most other options

Die besten Alternativen zu VM Backup

Ray
  • Branche: Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit

Bewertet am 2.8.2022

Once you see it work, you will like it

My overal experience with this Software is Positive. No negative feelings and we have it running at a lot of our customers, most installations just run, notifications keep coming in, and backups are made. We sometimes test it , and every time the backup can be restored. Not losing sleep over this.

I liked the easy, no fuss install. being up and running in 15 minutes.

It used to be that the backups were easily accessible, vhd files in a subfolder, nowadays it's more complex, I guess because of regulations/ security. I liked how it was before, that way I could even use the backed up VHD as any VHD. Most of the functionality is now already in Altaro, so there is less need for it. But would have been nice to have. But to be honest I don't miss it.

Gründe für den Wechsel zu VM Backup

Because of cost and ease of deployment[ it is just one Setup file, no need to setup SQl servers or anything. start setup, next next finish, but after that some configuration is needed, [Storage location and frequency] Done.
Ricardo

Bewertet am 8.3.2019

Poor Support and issues with disk space

We use Altaro to backup our hosts with hundreds of VMs. We are now migrating to a different plataform, due to the lack of support to ReFS and the other limitations stated above.

Easy of use. It take some time to learn the software schema, but after that, it is very easy to use on the day to day experience.

Support is almos informal. There is a ticket number, but the follow up is poor. Chat is almost always offline. About disk space, the backups keep groing indefenitely, even if the VM has not much updates. The optimization tool to recover space does not work properly, takes too long to execute, while it runs, it blocks ALL backups funcionality and at the end there is almost no space freed. There is no limit for backup space per VM or per storage. You need to always keep following up the disk usage. There is no support for ReFS, what is a shame for a software that runs on Windows Servers and ReFS has been around for a while already.

Antwort von Hornetsecurity

We are sorry that your experience with our support team has not met our usual high standards. Our support team prides itself on the great feedback it receives from customers, so feedback like this really does stand out. We answer support calls within 22 seconds on average and follow up email tickets within 2 hours on average. Our customers have the option to use chat or phone for quicker responses, our chat is online 24 hours a day.

Do email [email protected] with more information about when you were dissatisfied, and we'll be glad to investigate further.

Your backup repository will grow only if the VM has new data - our deduplication and CBT make sure of that. Re the optimization tool, we are working on a better backup format that uses the freed-up space more efficiently. We're sharing your feedback about no limit for backup space as a feature request - thanks. Our recently launched `Mount Virtual Disk' option allows users to grab their backed up files from ReFS partitions.

Beantwortet am 18.3.2019
Bünyamin
  • Branche: Tiefbau

Bewertet am 19.11.2020

Altaro - Best Choice for me

very easy to use. Nice Dashboard with a lot of first sight information.

German Language! Not everyone can understand it.

Antwort von Hornetsecurity

Many thanks indeed for your review of Altaro VM Backup. We have taken note of your request to have a version of the product in German, but cannot make any commitments about this at this point.

Beantwortet am 21.11.2020
Ashwin
  • Branche: Bildungsmanagement

Bewertet am 1.12.2020

Highly recommended software

We chose Altaro as it met all our requirements as a VM Backup and Recovery software at a cheaper cost than other common VM Backup and Recovery software. The system is very easy to use and did not require any training to implement. The Sandbox & Verification is a big plus to test backups and to do test drills. We rarely had issues with the software and the minor issues we had were promptly addressed by support.

Though it provides the possibility to backup a VM to cloud providers, it does not offer the possibility to run the VM from the cloud as a DR site. However I understood that this feature is being implemented and coming soon which will be a great addition.

Patrick

7 years of Altaro in practice

Very quick and easy to install, after that all customer installations can be monitored, controlled and also updated centrally via a website, this saves us an extremely large amount of time when supporting our customer systems. If a problem really occurs, you can rely on the easily accessible support. We now only use Altaro, why should we pay more for other solutions without added value.

The representation of the backup in the CMC could be better presented more clearly

Florian
  • Branche: Essen & Trinken

Bewertet am 18.11.2020

Great Backup software which is reliable and very easy to use

I am really happy about the software. A friend told us about it because he uses Altaro Backup in his company. He is their IT consultant. The software is easy to set up and really reliable. Luckily I did not need to restore a backup yet, only a few files I had to restore so far. However, because of the sandbox test verification feature, I feel safe that all backups can be restored.

I like most about the software that it was so easy to be implemented. It really took only a few minutes to set up the system. Now since the new feature offers multiple offsite servers I feel even safer with my backups.

Actually, I do not have anything I can complain about. There is only one thing I am missing and that is IPV6 support for OffSite Server. I do have at home only IPV6 available but I cannot connect the offsite server to Altarao Backup.

Acronis Cyber Backup und Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud

Gründe für den Wechsel zu VM Backup

Because of the price and a friend recommended Altrao. So I have tried it and was very happy with it.

Antwort von Hornetsecurity

Thank you for your review -- we greatly appreciate your feedback. We've taken note of your feature request relating to IPV6 support.

Beantwortet am 19.11.2020
Grzegorz
  • Branche: Industrieautomation
  • Unternehmensgröße: 201–500 Mitarbeiter

Bewertet am 25.2.2020

Altaro Backup is the Best

I had occasion testing software other companies. But finally I chose Altaro. I can manage my VM's in easy way etc.

For me this software is very friendly to use. Menu is very transaprent and easy . In easy way I can check all backups and set schedulers for new VM's. I have possibility set backup to more places then 2.

Earlier version had function ( button ) on main menu as "free clean space". I used it very often when I wanted to free up space on disks with old backups . But generally I cannot say negative words about altaro.

Giuliano

Bewertet am 15.7.2022

Backup flexibility and stability in one solution! ALTARO BACKUP!

We are using Altaro VM backup form about 4 Years and we will continue to use it for its simplicity, reliability, average cost and first-rate support!

What I like about this software is that once it is installed and configured, no human intervention is required.

THre CMC Dashboard for monitoring backup of all my customer is the best!

Gustavo
Gustavo
  • Branche: Hochschulbildung
  • Unternehmensgröße: 201–500 Mitarbeiter

Excelente VM Backup Software

We backup 6 hosts we over 40 VMs Onsite and offsite, and it works really well, no complains, also it is a very goood way to test new environments by restoring backups from any server.

What I most like about it, is the pricing model per Host instead of VM, it is very similar to the competitor, but has better pricing, its easy to try before buying, it is super intuitive to set it up, you don't even need to read the how to documentation, because is is really easy to use.

Some times the Altaro Services drops or Backups stops working (don't understand exactly why) SO You have to contact support (that is excellent and immediate) to solve it. This is the only reason we have been paying for the continuous support.

Hugh

Altaro review

It's been good the customer support is always helpful.

The majority of the time it works without any human intervention at all. It has lots of management tools for storage.

Sometimes it has minor issues with backups failing and no error messages.

Gründe für den Wechsel zu VM Backup

Easier and can be controlled from a central web dashboard accessible from anywhere
Andrej

Bewertet am 26.7.2022

The best backup for MSP, mainly in SMB

Very satisfied

Easy for use, install, administer, manage

Everything works fine for us, we are using product daily

shlomo

Bewertet am 9.8.2019

Why we moved from a competing software to Altaro backup software.

While we are a smallish company, we have a pretty large virtual environment, mostly for development and testing purposes. We currently house about 80 VMs and have at our disposal about 60 TB of disk space. We were unhappy with our current backup software and started looking for alternatives. Altaro was chosen as the replacement software primarily due to their exemplary support services, fair pricing structure and a rich set of features and functions. As a software company ourselves, we are very aware and sensitive to the level of support that comes with purchasing a software. Altaro offer 24/7 technical support, and they are very good at resolving issues and answering questions.

Extremely easy to install, configure and get running. Within 15 minutes, all the Hyper-V hosts and the VMs were recognized and ready for backup. A non-experienced junior employee can get the product up and running.

User GUI is very clean, clear and intuitive. We managed to perform all the tasks without reading any instructions.

Altaro is fast, very fast. The first time we performed a full backup, there was concern that it completed too soon, and that the backups were not usable. But we restored to a test drive and they all checked out.
The incremental backups with deduplication are even faster, taking only a minute or so per VM.

The Deduplication compression is very good. We are currently looking at over 80% savings of space.

The price is right. They have a very fair pricing structure for both licenses and support services and offer discounts and incentives when needed.

Offsite backup feature easy to implement. Using their offsite server setup file, any computer within the intranet/internet can become an offsite backup location.

Consistently improving their offerings. With every new release of the software, clients are introduced to new features and functions, many of which have come from the clients themselves. They listen to the client’s feedback.

Exemplary support services. One of the few companies that offer 24/7 support staffed with senior technical resources. We have always been able to receive support and assistance almost instantly.

Too sensitive with error codes from storage devices. In cases that other products complete the backup and restore, Altaro fails due to minor errors reported from storage devices. I wish they would complete the backup and just add a warning that there was an error code reported. Using a new storage device resolved the issues in our case.

No support for defining many backup JOBS. You can only define one primary and one offsite backup source, and each VM can only belong to these 2 sources. It would be nice to be able to backup a VM multiple times, to multiple primary sources, each source with different location and retention policy. This can be achieved only by a many to many relationship between VMS and Primary/Offsite sources. I was told this may be coming out in the next release.

Antwort von Hornetsecurity

Thanks for reviewing Altaro VM Backup - we really appreciate it. We confirm that the support you require for backup jobs will become available in v8.5 of the solution, scheduled to be released later this year.

Beantwortet am 12.8.2019
Petr

Bewertet am 27.2.2019

Best backup tool for that amount of money

I use altaro backup for few years now, started with the free licenses for 2VM environments and with every new version there is bunch of new features (like CDP, replication for example).

The biggest reason for use of Altaro VM Backup is the price. For reasonable money you can get full package of virtual machine backup tools. Now it is even cheaper (for small environment with 2-3 virtual machines) with Altaro MSP program, for like 5 bucks a month per VM you get unlimited plus license - such a great deal!

The only cons in some cases is no option for Hyper-V host backup. I know, it is necessary in like 3% of cases, but still, if you are part of the 3%, you have no chance with Altaro and you have to use another app for host backup.

I was a bit disappointed with new limitations of free license - no retention policy available, no immediate backup notification to email in V8. But anyway - you can now always jump to MSP program for really small money.

Antwort von Hornetsecurity

Thanks for your review of Altaro VM Backup.
We actually do have plans to release a backup solution for physical servers, which will give the option to restore that physical server to a VM.
That said, it will not handle hypervisors, the Hyper-V Host should not have anything aside from VMs running on it, so normally a one-off or periodic backup using Windows Server Backup should be enough to cover your needs, as the data that is changing is inside the VMs themselves, which Altaro VM Backup is backing up regularly.
We have a more detailed blog article about this here if you're interested in further reading:

Beantwortet am 1.3.2019

Bewertet am 1.8.2022

Been using it for years and each new version does bring extra features

The backup of customer servers to our own premises was the ultimate goal and this has been achieved at an affordable rate to use and our customers - other solutions were just not user friend at all.

The MSP pricing is excellent compared to all others and very simple to get my head around. Simply buying a license per server backed up is much easier than worry about cost per GB and cost per CPU core that some others think is normal.

On the MSP dashboard managing hosts regards licencing is a little tedious and confusing. Simply converting an existing installation from the 2 guest to MSP version is a hassle and not obvious how to do without a lot of trial and error to work it out.

Robert
  • Branche: Darstellende Künste

WAC Review

Good product to use.

After years of server versions, the cloud version is by far better

Restore times are slower than I though they would be. Even with a 1 GB circuit.

Stefano

Bewertet am 14.7.2022

Altaro

Easy use of console and remote management

Central remote console and instant chat support

• Branche: Computer-Vernetzung

Bewertet am 22.5.2019

Back up you can trust

Altaro products are terrific products that do their job. I have used their backup for a long time and it has work without fail for me. It has saved my but more than once. I have had hard drive fails and encryption virus that it has saved me from. It is well worth it.

This software is one you can set and forget and it does its thing without fail.

Its not let me down yet. It took me a bit to get the interface, but it wasn't terrible. I am bad about not following directions though.

Carbonite und Microsoft 365 Backup

Gründe für den Wechsel zu VM Backup

I like the interface and great pricing
Christian
  • Branche: Computer-Hardware

Bewertet am 24.2.2020

Review from Germany

Altaro is ideal for small enviroments with HYPERV ONLY. If customers growth, or if you need integration into Vendor Driven Storage Arrays you will have to look for other products.

I install Altaro in HYPERV Only enviroments. In general it works fine. I am a reseller since 8 Years and run Altaro on various sites. Installation is very easy and you will get good results.

The easyness has issues in bigger enviroments. One of my customers is running 6 Clusters and aprox 10 standalone hyperv hosts. I would like to have a better reporting tool to plan the jobs. Reporting is poor in general. Ex. Time for backup in real live is much longer than shown, depending on weh the stop watch is started. Altaro Seems to measure the time after a succesfull snapshot, saving the data. Lots of other features (includung LOG Mainentance is promised for years).

Bewertet am 13.7.2022

Good Software that fits most needs.

Overall a great software, we use it as our Main Backup software

Pro: Easy to use, fast to implement and fits almost all needs.

For high complex Systems its not the best suited since it does not has the most options.
Deleting/purging older backups is painstaiking slow and needs to be improved.

Steve
  • Branche: Non-Profit-Organisation Management

Good backup solution for VM's

The product is simple to use and reliable. I've used it for quite a few years, and it has definitely made my life easier when things have gone sideways.

The software is easy to configure, quick and does a good job backing up the VM's. File level (including single exchange emails) restores are easy and quick. Restoring an entire server is equally simple. It has definitely saved me on several occasions.

The offsite facility could use some work, specifically with regard to using the offsite server. If you do get corruption in the offsite server, you've pretty much lost your offsite backups and need to start from scratch.

Joseph
  • Branche: Finanzdienstleistungen

Bewertet am 28.2.2019

Altaro is a fantastic product at a reasonable cost and does just what we want in a solution.

The any issues we have with our backups using this solution are almost always a problem with Microsoft shadow copy or something similar interfering with Altaro. Everything else is golden.

The speed of backups and compression/de-duping are phenomenal and the features available are fantastic. I love being able to send my backups to an offsite location and not having to worry about data volume, and I love being able to pull files at will, and spin up backed up clones to test for or locate issues. I've also come accustom to great new features being developed for nearly every new release.

-having to start the backup chain over again between version upgrades
-having to rely on Microsoft's shadow copy, which fails every now and then

Shannon

Reliable Easy to Use Altaro

Excellent

I liked the Ease if of use and easy management of this product

It is very strict with disk errors, which mean it will not backup.

Ease of use